Tuesday, November 11, 2008

CoMM 101-gender

In chapter 34, Wood explains that gender is a cultural construct rather than a biological characteristic.  Now that I think about it it kind of makes sense.  Everything that is in this world, material things, jobs, relationship roles, you name it, it is constructed to fit the presumed characteristics of male or female.  

When we were kids we got toys that were gender specific.  Boys toy's were soldiers, or trucks, and girls toys were dolls and anything pink.  Why is that?  It is part of society that allows this construct to continue.  And it has become a societal rule for some reason.  Which cases do not reflect this social construct?  I can't really think of a case.  I can only think of cases where the female construct is rebelled against.  For example, I had a friend that used to dress in very "manly" clothes.  Although she did kind of act like a guy she always got picked on for that.  Other people expected and sometimes told her she should dress more feminine.  

I also bought a gift for my unborn niece.  I bought her some infant sized Converse shoes.  I was going to go with black or red but something made me go with pink.  I figured, why not pink, at least they're Converse shoes.  I thought they were a little out of the ordinary for a girl anyway.  

3 comments:

Ada said...

Children are tought by toys and cloths when they were babies. If you buy some blue cloths for your gilr, people `ll ask you why you buy the blue cloths and not pink and red. The people will say that red and pink are cute for gilrs. The gender education is continued in culture, norm, and society. I don`t think that somebody can change this society construct. Also, in my opinon, this society contruct is not bad. But, we have to work on men and women equally in job, education, and any social issues.

Rina Sutaria said...

Isn't it interesting how we decide what a baby's future is going to be when we pick out their very first clothes that we bring them home from the hospital in? What if I had a little baby girl and I brought it home in a San Jose Sharks jersey? My best friend and her husband are diehard Sharks fans and I was able to track down a newborn onesie for a baby girl! Its not pink, it's black and teal. My friend is sort of a "tomboy" an d probably isn't going to dress her little girl Rianna in pink frilly dresses.

I stronly believe that is going to shape how Rianna views herself and how she socializes with others. She is going to eventually wonder why she is different and maybe she will eventually get picked on. But I think as she becomes a young adult, she will appreciate that she is different from everyone else and will love herself as an individual.

She probably won't grow up as delicate and fragile as some of the little baby girls who dress in pink and are always dressed in pink are. The way her parents probably will socialize her, she will grow up to be a tough little cookie! :)

Brooke School said...

I consider myself as a "girly girl". I like shopping, make-up, the color pink. When I was little I loved playing with barbies and baby dolls. I don't know if it was because those were the only options as toys or because it was my maternal instinct. I wonder if I would have turned out differently if I had been given transformers and trucks instead.