Saturday, November 15, 2008

comm101-problem of translation

In chapter 35 it talks about how translation between men and women's dialogue can be misinterpreted or not understood.  Kramrae states that" in order to participate in society women must transform their own models in terms of the received male system of expression."

I can say that its hard for me to understand women sometimes.  And I can imagine that it's more than impossible for women to understand us men sometimes.  Sorry about that.  But when it comes expressing and telling about feelings, I have to say that guys aren't the greatest at expressing their feelings in words.  "I don't know" seems to be a frequent answer to the "how do you feel?" question.  For women to express their emotions to us, it may just go over our heads.  So naturally our response would be, "what do you want me to do?"

But there is always room for improvement.  I've learned a lot due to the fact I've made a lot of mistakes on certain levels of communication.  I think it's alright that there are communication differences between men and women.  More often that not, people learn something new everyday because of it.

1 comment:

OneEightNine said...

I dont know if their will ever be a definate answer to struggles that men and women have with communicating to one another. I think that the more developed our societies become; for example: instead of just being run by men, but by women becoming more and more empowered, that our language barier can only be brought down to a low level.
I think that it is very possitive and refreshing knowing that our societies are growing in the right direction.