Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Comm 101-Communication as Ping-pong

In the subsection of our book about Interpersonal messages, there is a description of communication as a game of ping pong.  I can relate to this description because having a conversation with someone that you're interested in can be just like this.  Just like the ping pong ball, the conversation can be hit back and forth at different strengths, angles, attitudes.  The goal of this kind of conversation is to hopefully have another conversation in the future.  Or to get the person's number to have the conversation over the phone.  I guess it can also be like bowling too because the goal is to send the message and hopefully the receiver responds.

1 comment:

JahCat said...

I can relate to the ping pong analogy as well. I am also taking Comm 10 this semester and discussing interpersonal relationships. I think that it is important to reach the goal with a person to be able to talk with them again. I think that it is disappointing if you send the ball out and don’t get a response. I think that discussing communication like a game is also relevant because you need two people to play but there might also be more. I think that without someone interested in trying to communicate back the game will end abruptly. I think that people should invest the time and try to have a meaningful conversation.