Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Comm101- default assumptions

The story about the father and son getting into a car crash, in chapter 5, almost got me.  I thought I was fooled for a while there.  How often do we assume that the people in highly esteemed positions such as a surgeon, are men?  When do we assume it will be a women?  I can't wrap my mind on how or why I think this.  I gotta be honest.   A position like that I would assume that it will be a man.  Then again, the only reason I would assume something like that would probably come from experience only.  
In the work that I do now, there are a fair amount of women and men that are in executive positions.  They work just as hard and effectively as the men.  A couple of them even more so.
For some reason I refer to default in my thought process as who to expect in a certain topic like this one.  Are the words we use that basic?  If we were to be told a story about the greatest warrior that ever lived, how many of us would imagine a man to have something to refer to?
It's probably due to our cultural history that has developed this thought process.  Media can also paint a picture of the roles of men and women in this day and age, even if some seem ridiculous.  

1 comment:

Professor Cyborg said...

Hi DJ Q! I just found your blog. The URL I had for your blog was http://askqaquestion.blogspot.com/
and I didn't realize you'd started another one, until SJSU Cait emailed me. Now you're on the blog roll again. . .
This example is a good one. I first heard it on the sitcom All in the Family, a good many years ago.