Thursday, September 18, 2008

Comm101 Axioms

In chapter 10 it shows us a chart on how to map out uncertainty and the outcomes of it.  It's kind of interesting.  It's like a contingency plan for social fallout.
Anyway, its almost like a guide to finding a way to socialize and how not to socialize.  I can take axiom 1: verbal communication and use it to decrease the level of uncertainty by verbally communicating with other people.  

I was doing recruitment during the first weeks of school and I was fairly loud and energetic so that I could get people to learn more about KSJS, our radio station.  Keep in mind there are a lot of fresh new faces on campus and they tend to look like they are lost.  So I go up to them and initiate the conversation and even welcome them to participate in our meetings as well as participate in a "toss the water balloon at a KSJS DJ" activity that we had going.  They got to win a prize if they hit them.  Needles to say they had fun.  They also left with a smile on their face and looked a little more relaxed.  Who better to communicate with people than our friendly KSJS DJ's.  We're a lot of fun.

I was on the air this morning and I recieved a lot of calls today.  People were asking about the concert events that were taking place this week.  I gave out a lot of information over the air on several events.  People were calling in and were very interested in what I had said.  I don't see an axiom for something like this, information giving, although it could fall under self disclosure.  But it doesn't really disclose anything about me, just the music artists and events.  So I don't know what kind of axiom it would fall under.  Maybe it was just because that I sounded professional and informative that I gained a positive response from my listeners.  

No comments: